Crises erupt into life and immediately demand all of life’s energies and resources. Even after they seem to be dealt with they leave deep and enduring wounds. These wounds challenge intellectual capacities, physical endurance, emotional stability, and spiritual integrity. These harmful residues of crisis can immobilize hope and shatter dreams. Left untreated they can leave life bereft of meaning and induce a poverty of attainable goals. Crises have many and varied origins.
- Catastrophic life experiences
- Critical developmental challenges
- World events
- Tragic loss
- Natural disasters
- Devastating disappointments
At times people need help in working through difficult questions and emotions. They need:
- someone who will guide them through the fearful, lonely and often angry process of grief or family difficulties as they seek growth and resolution
- a professional guide as they journey through valleys of darkness in search of meaning in life’s chaos
- someone who will assure confidentiality, respect, and genuine caring.
Pastoral Psychotherapy combines the clinical skills of psychology with the insights of theology to meet the therapeutic and spiritual needs of individuals undergoing crisis.
For further information on our crisis intervention services or to schedule an appointment, please contact us.
In case you need immediate help: If ever you are feeling hopeless, suicidal, or simply in need of speaking with someone, there are numerous free and anonymous hotlines with trained operators available.
Suicide Prevention / Depression Support
- US: Hopeline (Suicide Prevention): 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- US: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-Talk (1-800-8255)
- UK: Samaritans (Nat’l and local): 08457 90 90 90 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- CAN: Suicide Prevention Canada
- AUS: Lifeline Australia Helpline 13 11 14
Substance Abuse / Alcoholism
- US: National Drug Information Treatment and Referral Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- US: Alcohol Abuse and Crisis Intervention: 1-800-234-0246
- US: National Cocaine Hotline: 1-800-COCAINE (262-2463)
- US: Al-Anon/Alateen Hotline (for friends and family) 1-800-344-2666
- UK: Drinkline: Nat’l. Alcoholism Helpline: 0800 917 8282
- AUS: Drug & Alcohol Helpline 1800 198 024
- CAN: Drug & Alcohol Helpline 1-800-565-8603
Rape, Abuse & Domestic Violence
- US: Childhelp (Child Abuse): 1-800-4ACHILD (1-800-422-4453)
- US: Nat’l. Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- US: RAINN Nat’l. Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- US: Nat’l. Center on Elder Abuse: 1-800-677-1116
- US: National Runaway Switchboard: 1-800-621-4000
- UK: Women’s Aid Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
Gay / Lesbian Issues
- US: GLBT National Help Center 1-888-843-4564
- UK: Galop – LGBT Abuse Helpline 0800 999 5428
- CAN: PFLAG Canada Helpline 1-888-530-6777
- AUS: QLIFE Australia Helpline 1800 184 527
Pregnancy / Sexual Health
- US: Planned Parenthood: 1-800-230-PLAN (7526)
- US: Nat’l. STD Hotline: 1-800-227-8922
- US: National AIDS Hotline: 1-800-342-AIDS (2437)
- US: The Teen AIDS Hotline: 1-800-440-TEEN (8336)
- US: Nat’l. Poison Help: 1-800-222-1222
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES / ORGANIZATIONS
- ULifeline – A directory of resources available for college students— take a self-assessment test; or find your college psych services center.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) – Alcoholics Anonymous is an informal meeting society for recovering alcoholics whose primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.
- Narcotics Anonymous (NA) – Narcotics Anonymous similar to AA, is an international, community-based association of recovering addicts.
- Self-Mutilators Anonymous – A community-based association for individuals struggling with self-mutilation.
- National Institute of Mental Health – Extensive information on a variety of mental health topics.
- National Institute of Health – Extensive information on all health related topics.
- MedlinePlus – Extensive information of different drugs and treatment options.
If you think you have a medical emergency please call your doctor or 911 immediately.